- The following is from a resident of Tanzania...
- They have 600 people - yup 600!!! - people in his (Bush's)
group: press, military, security, advisors, etc. It's crazy around
here. There are signs up around town welcoming him and random American
flags in random places. You still get the sense though that lots of people
are not too happy about it. I would really like to contrast this with a
Barak or Clinton visit.
- Either way, about $700 million is coming into Tanzania
from the US...so Kikwete (Tanzania's President) sure is glowing. The
irony of this huge 'donation' is... the US said they are giving it because
Tanzania has an accountable, stable government. Last week, the Prime
Minister resigned along with a group of ministries because of huge corruption
that leaked out.
- Enter stage left, the leaking news that Bush has made
secret agreements with Kikwete to build a huge American military base just
north of Dar.
- Ahh, it all makes sense now. $700 million 'to fight
AIDS and malaria' ... and build a new strategic US military base. Why
hasn't that part made the news?