- George Carlin was known as a great stand up comic. Carlin
hosted the first broadcast of "Saturday Night Live" in October
1975. He starred as a cabdriver in his own sitcom, "The George Carlin
Show" which ran from 1993 to 1995. Carlin had a very bad habit, he
was addicted to Diet Coke with aspartame. He suffered several heart attacks,
one at Dodger Stadium during a baseball game. He died of heart failure
on Sunday, June 22nd.
- In a nutshell aspartame (NutraSweet/Equal/E951/Canderel,
etc.) triggers an irregular heart rhythm, interacts with cardiac medication,
virtually all medication for that matter because of damage to the mitochondria
or life of the cell, damages the cardiac conduction system and causes sudden
- On 2/5/08 the New York Times published an article on
a new study: "Symptoms: Metabolic Syndrome Is Tied to Diet Soda"
Wrote Nicholas Bakalar, "Researchers have found a correlation between
drinking diet soda and metabolic syndrome - the collection of risk factors
for cardiovascular disease"... "This is interesting," said
Lyn M. Steffen, an associate professor of Epidemiology at the University
of Minnesota and co-author of the paper" .. Further she said, "Why
is it happening? Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda, or something
about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?" I called Dr. Steffen and
let her know what aspartame does to the heart and sent her this paper by
Dr. H. J. Roberts, and others, which explains in detail:
- ASPARTAME INDUCED ARRHYTHMIAS AND SUDDEN DEATH
- By H. J. Roberts, MD, FACP, FCCP
- (c)2004 by H. J. Roberts, M.D.
- A recent extensive review of sudden death in young athletes
(1) made no mention of aspartame as a primary cause or suspected contributory
factor, especially when demonstrable pathology was absent. This issue has
assumed great public health importance because "diet" products
containing this chemical are being consumed by over two-thirds of the population
- especially weight-conscious persons.
- I have repeatedly reported the serious cardiovascular,
'neuropsychiatric, metabolic and other adverse effects of aspartame products.
(2-4) Among the first 1200 aspartame reactors in my data base, 193 (16%)
had symptomatic arrhythmia's, 85 (7%) atypical chest pain, and 64 (5%)
recent or aggravated hypertension.
- One hypertensive patient developed complete heart block
within hours after consuming his first diet cola.
- Another had undergone unsuccessful radio frequency ablations
in the heart before awareness of having aspartame disease.
- Pheochromocytoma was suspected in several aspartame reactors.
- The issue of sudden death related to aspartame and its
breakdown products has been raised a number of times, particularly among
previously well individuals using such products... including pilots and
drivers , (3,4,6) and athletes. I have detailed the release of norepinephrine,
epinephrine, dopamine and free methanol by aspartame; a host of pertinent-related
pathophysiologic conditions, (e.g., cumulative formaldehyde adducts derived
from aspartame in tissue proteins and nucleic aids; excessive insulin release);
direct oropharyngeal absorption from gum, "breath fresheners"
and other products; and the increasing problem of aspartame addiction.
- The likelihood of pulmonary hypertension induced by the
vasoconstrictive effects of aspartame products also has been considered.
(5) It is relevant that unexplained dyspnea was experienced by 110 aspartame
reactors, usually with prompt improvement after abstinence. Moreover, primary
pulmonary hypertension was found at autopsy in a 27 year old female aspartame
- The lack of familiarity of most physicians and medical
examiners with the foregoing considerations can have serious legal consequences.
A case in point is that of a young woman (also a Sunday School teacher)
who has been sentenced to serve 50 years in a Virginia prison for allegedly
poisoning her husband with methyl alcohol. Elevated methanol blood concentrations
were found postmortem in this body builder/basketball player who drank
ten diet drinks and other aspartame products daily. She remains incarcerated
despite affidavits indicating that 10% of aspartame becomes free methyl
alcohol after consumption.
- The need for clinicians and corporate-neutral investigators
to evaluate the contributory role of aspartame in cardiopulmonary disorders
and sudden death, and drug interactions with aspartame, is underscored
by the frequency of persons dying unexpectedly being categorized as "death
due to causes yet to be determined." One interested resident of Orange
county (California) found 192 persons listed in this category between July
11 and November 15, 2003 according to the Orange county Register.
- * Maron BJ, Sudden death in young athletes, N Engl
J Med 2003;349:1064-1075
- * Roberts HJ, Reactions to aspartame containing products:
551 cases, J Appl Nutr l988;40:86-94
- * Roberts HJ, Aspartame (NutraSweet): Is It Safe?
Philadelphia, The Charles Press, 1989.
- * Roberts HJ, Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic.
West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 2001
- * Roberts HJ, Aspartame-induced dyspnea and pulmonary
hypertension, Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients 2003; 237 (January):
- * Roberts HJ, Ignored Health Hazards for Pilots and
Drivers. West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 1998.
- * Roberts HJ, Aspartame (NutraSweet) addiction, Townsend
Letter for Doctors & Patients, 2900; 198 (January): 52-57
- H. J. Roberts, MD, FACP, FCCP
- Palm Beach Institute for Medical Research
- P. O. Box 17799
- West Palm Beach, Florida 33416 USA
- You will note that Dr. Roberts wrote this paper because
so many young athletes are dropping dead. Some may remember athlete Steve
Bechler's death in West Palm Beach. Tim Sullivan said in the San Diego
Union Tribune in Feb, 2003, that whether Steve Bechler's passing (23 year
old Baltimore Oriole pitcher) should prompt baseball to ban ephedra-based
products is a more complicated matter, one that raises questions of civil
rights and individual responsibilities, and about the gap between medical
opinion and governmental regulations. But while Steve Bechler's death was
blamed on ephedra this no doubt was another Diet Coke with aspartame death.
At the time of his death, H. J. Roberts, M.D. who also lives in West
Palm Beach immediately called the Broward County medical examiner, Dr.
Joshua Perper, and asked him how many diet drinks was Bechler drinking.
Dr. Perper didn't even know why he asked. The Idaho Observer wrote the
story, Aspartame Poisoning Cover for Ephedra. It was finally disclosed
Steve Belcher had a weight problem, he would go without eating for a couple
of days and then drink diet pop with aspartame all day. He had a family
history of heart problems and aspartame destroys the heart. After researching
the issue it's obvious that Steve Bechler did not die because he was using
ephedra, it was just another aspartame death! Even Dr. Perper could only
conclude that ephedrine "probably contributed" to his death but
this doctor was not knowledgeable of aspartame's effect on the heart nor
did he know that Steve Belcher was using it.
- Obviously ephedra could interact with aspartame but then
virtually all drugs interact with aspartame. But the FDA used this aspartame
death to remove another supplement. Are they going to take all the drugs
off the market because they interact with aspartame? Shouldn't they ban
aspartame instead? John W. Olney, M.D., was asked by the Ephedra Education
Council to review some of the FDA cases. Go to (http://www.ephedrafacts.com)
for the full report. The adverse event reports Dr. Olney examined include
those reviewed for FDA by Doctors Ricaute and Stoll. Dr. Olney says out
of 28 cases, there is not a single case that the expert reviewers rated
as having a highly probable causal association with ingestion of Ephedra.
Didn't bother FDA at all, they could cover up another aspartame death
and grab another supplement to please Big Pharma.
- Dr. H. J. Roberts said in his position paper on aspartame
and cardiac symptoms (www.dorway.com ) under atypical chest pain: "More
than 50 aspartame reactors experienced unexplained pain in the chest.
Many others have atypical pain elsewhere in the body. A number underwent
stress tests and coronary angioplasty for suspected coronary heart disease'
they proved normal in the majority."
- Ephedra is off the market and the sudden cardiac deaths
of athletes continue to this day, as well as others in the population including
children. Russell Blaylock, M.D., wrote this Athlete Alert on the subject:
- ATHLETE ALERT:
- RENOWNED NEUROSURGEON IDENTIFIES
- ASPARTAME & MSG IN SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATH
- Contributed By Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum
- Mission Possible International
- Originally Posted At: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/4/prwebxml225071.php
- Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D. explains the relationship
between sudden cardiac death, especially in athletes, and excitotoxic damage
produced by food additives and artificial sweeteners.
- (PRWEB) April 14, 2005 -- Dr. Russell Blaylock, an author
and neurosurgeon, explains the relationship between sudden cardiac death,
especially in athletes, and excitotoxic damage caused by food additives
and artificial sweeteners. -- By Russell L. Blaylock, M.D.
- Over 460,000 people annually die of a disorder called
sudden cardiac death, according to CDC statistics. This condition strikes
otherwise healthy people who have experienced no obvious symptoms of heart
disease prior to their abrupt deaths.
- An alarming number young athletes are included in these
deaths, in high schools and colleges as well as among professional athletes.
While in some of these individuals cardiologists found evidence of coronary
disease and scars from earlier silent heart attacks, there is one mechanism
that's getting no attention at all: the excitotoxin damage caused by food
additives and the artificial sweetener aspartame. This is despite growing
evidence that the excitotoxic mechanism plays a major role in cardiac disease.
- Previously, it was thought that excitotoxic food additives,
such as monosodium glutamate and aspartic acid in aspartame, cause their
damage in the cardiovascular centers in the brain stem and/or by over-stimulating
sympathetic centers in the hypothalamus of the brain. Both mechanisms have
resulted in sudden cardiac death in experimental animals.
- A particularly deadly combination occurs in young athletes:
Low magnesium intake, high calcium intake, low intake of omega-3 fatty
acids and excitotoxins in food additives. Strenuous exercise, especially
in extreme heat, depletes the body's magnesium stores, as does consumption
of carbonated drinks and taking calcium supplements. Also adrenalin secretion,
increased during exercise, intensifies heart muscle irritability and further
loss of magnesium as well. When calcium supplements are taken in the face
of an existing magnesium deficiency, both magnesium and calcium are driven
into the bones, producing a sudden magnesium-depletion crisis.
- Low magnesium produces seizures and causes sudden cardiac
arrest. In a classic experiment it was found that stressing magnesium-deficient
animals resulted in an almost 100% mortality from sudden cardiac arrest.
Adding magnesium reduced mortality dramatically. A considerable body of
evidence has shown that low omega-3 fat intake significantly increases
the risk and severity of cardiac arrhythmias, the main cause of sudden
- A number of studies have shown that Americans are significantly
deficient in these protective fats. Finally, recent research has shown
that the brain is not the only tissue having glutamate receptors. Numerous
glutamate receptors have been found both within the heart's electrical
conduction system and the heart muscle itself.
- When an excess of food-borne excitotoxins, such as MSG,
hydrolyzed protein soy protein isolate and concentrate, natural flavoring,
sodium caseinate and aspartate from aspartame, are consumed, these glutamate
receptors are over-stimulated, producing cardiac arrhythmias. When magnesium
stores are low, as we see in athletes, the glutamate receptors are so sensitive
that even low levels of these excitotoxins can result in cardiac arrhythmias
- This is especially so when combined with the other factors
mentioned. Under such condition, free radicals and lipid eroxidation products
build up within the muscle cells, leading to the same outcome.
- High consumption of aspartame adds an additional cardiac
muscle toxin: methanol. A number of studies have shown that consuming aspartame
and MSG (and similar excitotoxins) together greatly magnifies the toxicity.
- Young people live on junk foods, most of which contain
a number of excitotoxic additives. Several studies have shown that the
levels consumed by our youth equal those that cause damage in experimental
animals. Humans are 5X more sensitive to these toxins than any animal.
- The same factors operate in older individuals. Most people
over age 50 years are depleted of magnesium, have low omega-3 fat intakes,
are under stress and take a number of medications which compromise nutrition,
especially magnesium levels. Because seniors are more likely to have coronary
artery disease plus other medical conditions, their risk of sudden cardiac
death is even higher.
- Both athletes and those over age 45 should take magnesium
supplements, antioxidants, omega-3 oils, eat more vegetables and avoid
foods and artificial sweeteners containing excitotoxins such as aspartame
and MSG. This accomplishes a lot more than attempting to rescue a victim
with an external defibrillator after the fact.
- Dr. Blaylock's web site is http://www.russellblaylockmd.com
He is author of "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills and Health &
Nutrition Secrets to Save Your Life." He can be seen in the movie
on aspartame, "Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World." Copies are available
- In the movie, "Sweet Misery," Diane Fleming
is interviewed from prison. Her husband, an aspartame addict, who played
basketball several times a week, died and she was charged with his death.
Several experts have written affidavits that Charles Fleming died from
aspartame. His last drink was three times the amount of creatine which
interacted with aspartame.
- Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum
- Founder, Mission Possible International
- 9270 River Club Parkway
- Duluth, Georgia 30097
- http://www.dorway.com , www.mpwhi.com and >www.wnho.net
- Aspartame Toxicity Center: http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame
- Aspartame Information List: www.mpwhi.com scroll down
- Note that Dr. Blaylock talks about the growing evidence
that the excitotoxic mechanism of aspartame plays a major role in cardiac
disease. Myocardial infarctions or heart attacks are notorious triggered
by aspartame and the CDC investigation on this poison reports cardiac arrest
- In the medical text, Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic
by Dr. Roberts, over 1000 pages, there is a chapter on heart and chest
problems. www.sunsentpress.com Dr. Roberts says on page 399: "The
question is properly raised, "Could aspartame reactions precipitate
or aggravate existing ischemia (coronary) heart disease?" The histories
of several reactors suggest a temporal relationship between beginning aspartame
consumption and an ENSUING HEART ATTACK."
- Because aspartame interacts with all cardiac medication,
a further investigation into his death should be established. What other
drugs was George Carlin using?
- It hasn't been that long since another Diet Coke user
died, Heath Ledger: http://www.mpwhi.com/heath_ledger.htm It was established
that he died of polypharmacy. The most deadly drug he was using was aspartame
in Diet Coke.
- Dr. Russell Blaylock said in one interview: "You
have a million patients in this country with arrhythmias that are life-threatening,
and no one's telling them to avoid MSG and aspartame, yet it's a major
source of cardiac irritability."
- Even President Bill Clinton uses Diet Coke and ended
up in the hospital with cardiac surgery. Dr. Roberts had dinner with
him years before and tried to get him to give it up, and gave him copies
of some of his books. He obviously was too addicted to give it up.
- It's very difficult to get some victims of aspartame
disease off the poison. The free methyl alcohol is classified as a narcotic
and causes chronic methanol poisoning. This effects the dopamine system
of the brain and causes the addiction. In talking with Dr. Bill Deagle
I mentioned many aspartame addicts simply are not rational. He said its
because aspartame effects the frontal lobes and it's like talking to someone
who has had a lobotomy. Talking about dumbing down the public! The FDA
knows all the dangers. Indeed, they had revoked the petition for approval
until Don Rumsfeld got it on the market through political chicanery. They
even had tried to indict the manufacturer. Yet today they refuse to serve
within the law and even answer a citizens petition to ban and an amendment
on the imminent health hazard. Chest pain is on their FDA list of 92 documented
symptoms from 4 types of seizures to coma and death. They are simply Big
Pharma's Washington Branch Office.
- Dr. Blaylock provides this detox program: www.wnho.net/wtdaspartame.htm
- Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum, Founder
- Mission Possible International
- 9270 River Club Parkway
- Duluth, Georgia 30097
- 770 242-2599
- www.mpwhi.com, www.dorway.com and www.wnho.net
- Aspartame Toxicity Center, www.holisticmed.com/aspartame
- Aspartame Information List, www.mpwhi.com scroll down