- My name is George C. Joseph. I am the sole owner of Sunshine
Dodge-Isuzu, a family owned and operated business in Melbourne, Florida.
- My family bought and paid for this automobile franchise
35 years ago in 1974. I am the second generation to manage this business.
- We currently employ 50+ people and before the economic
slowdown we employed over 70 local people. We are active in the community
and the local chamber of commerce. We deal with several dozen local vendors
on a day to day basis and many more during a month. All depend on our business
for part of their livelihood. We are financially strong with great respect
in the market place and community. We have strong local presence and stability.
- I work every day the store is open, nine to ten hours
a day. I know most of our customers and all our employees. Sunshine Dodge
is my life.
- On Thursday, May 14, 2009 I was notified that my Dodge
franchise, that we purchased, will be taken away from my family on June
9, 2009 without compensation and given to another dealer at no cost to
them. My new vehicle inventory consists of 125 vehicles with a financed
balance of 3 million dollars. This inventory becomes impossible to sell
with no factory incentives beyond June 9, 2009.
- Without the Dodge franchise we can no longer sell
a new Dodge as "new," nor will we be able to do any warranty
- Additionally, my Dodge parts inventory, (approximately
$300,000.) is virtually worthless without the ability to perform warranty
- There is no offer from Chrysler to buy back the
vehicles or parts inventory.
- Our facility was recently totally renovated at Chrysler's
insistence, incurring a multi-million dollar debt in the form of a mortgage
at Sun Trust Bank.
- HOW IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA CAN THIS HAPPEN?
THIS IS A PRIVATE BUSINESS NOT A GOVERNMENT ENTITY.
- This is beyond imagination! My business is being stolen
from me through NO FAULT OF OUR OWN. We did NOTHING wrong.
- This atrocity will most likely force my family into bankruptcy.
This will also cause our 50+ employees to be unemployed. How will they
provide for their families? This is a total economic disaster.
- HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN IN A FREE MARKET ECONOMY IN THE UNITED
STATES OF AMERICA?
- I beseech your help, and look forward to your reply.
- George C. Joseph
- President & Owner
- Sunshine Dodge-Isuzu