- This odd exchange took place at today's press conference
with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- David Brown, The Washington Post: There's a report that
there is yet another new H1N1 virus that has been found in the states of
Durango, Zacatecas, and Jalisco that is distinct from both this swine H1N1
and the seasonal Brisbane H1N1. Have you heard of this and can you tell
us anything about this?
- Daniel Jernigan, CDC's deputy director of influenza division:
We've heard of some reports about that, but I've not had any direct information
about the specifics of that case. There's ongoing dialog between us and
the folks that are in Mexico, and as we know more about that, we'll be
able to let people know.
- ScienceInsider is investigating but has yet to learn
anything substantive. It was aired in a public venue, though, and likely
will receive media attention, regardless of whether it turns out to be
- "We heard a rumor but think it may be a misinterpretation
of some lab data by a non-lab person," Nancy Cox, head of CDC's influenza
division, tells ScienceInsider. "We are following up."
- "There is no scientific evidence, up to date, that
we have a different A (H1N1) virus other than human seasonal or swine-origin
H1N1," Celia Alpuche, head of the main lab in Mexico that does influenza
testing, tells ScienceInsider. "We have seen influenza seasonal strains
circulating even more than swine-origin A (H1N1) virus, in particular in
areas in Mexico such as Durango, Jalisco, and Zacatecas. We started the
subtyping of these strains and we are finding mostly A (H3) seasonal and
also A (H1) seasonal." Alpuche, who heads the Instituto de Diagnóstico
y Referencia Epidemiológicos (InDRE) in Mexico City, says they are
exploring the hypothesis that a more virulent variant of the new H1N1 may
explain the more severe cases in Mexico, but again, no existing evidence
supports this possibility.
- [byline: Jon Cohen]
- communicated by
- Kunihiko Iizuka
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural
Economics Univ of West Indies Please visit my "Emerging Diseases"
message board at:
- http://www.emergingdisease.org/phpbb/index.php Also my
new website: http://drpdoyle.tripod.com/ Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
Go with God and in Good Health