- AVIAN INFLUENZA, HUMAN (113): EGYPT, EIGHTY-SIXTH CASE
- A ProMED-mail post
- ProMED-mail is a program of the
- International Society for Infectious Diseases
- Date: Wed 16 Sep 2009
- Source: SAIDR [edited]
- A boy, 13 years old, began experiencing fever and sore
throat on 13 Sep 2009. He was admitted to Mamoura Chest Hospital in Alexandria
on 14 Sep 2009. Infection with HPAI [highly pathogenic avian influenza
virus] was confirmed by the subnational lab in Alexandria and the central
laboratories on 16 Sep 2009.
- The patient had a history of working in a shop selling
and slaughtering poultry 3 days before the onset of symptoms. He was reported
to be in stable condition on 16 Sep 2009. The Ministry of Health reported
this was the 86th case of highly pathogenic avian influenza virus infection
- Source of report: Dr. Amr Kandeel, Undersecretary for
Preventative Affairs, Ministry of Health and Dr. Samir Refaie, Head of
Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, Ministry of Health
- Communicated by ProMED-mail Rapporteur Mary Marshall
- A complete description of all Egyptian cases since the
reappearance of the virus in Egypt in December 2008 can be obtained by
accessing the SAIDR website via the URL at the beginning of this report.
A map displaying the locations of these cases accompanies the descriptions.
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural
Economics Univ of West Indies Please visit my "Emerging Diseases"
message board at:http://www.emergingdisease.org/phpbb/index.php Also
my new website: http://drpdoyle.tripod.com/ Zhan le Devlesa tai
sastimasa Go with God and in Good Health