- Jeff - I found another 8 articles that show squalene
and related type of adjuvants to be a cause of (lipoid ) pneumonia and
another one linked with auto inmmmune problems (lupus), one showing
- Another article finds that there is NO benefit to use
- These articles date back to 1991. Here is one of
- Biomed Pharmacother. 2004 Jun;58(5):325-37.
- Autoimmunity Induced By Adjuvant Hydrocarbon Oil Components
- Kuroda Y, Nacionales DC, Akaogi J, Reeves
WH, Satoh M.
- Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Department
of Medicine, University of Florida, ARB-R2-156, 1600 SW Archer Road, P.O.
Box 100221 Gainesville, FL 32610-0221, USA.
- Adjuvant oils such as Bayol F (Incomplete Freund's adjuvant:
IFA) and squalene (MF59) have been used in human and veterinary vaccines
despite poor understanding of their mechanisms of action. Several reports
suggest an association of vaccination and various autoimmune diseases,
however, few were c onfirmed epidemiologically and the risk of vaccination
for autoimmune diseases has been considered minimal. Microbial components,
not the adjuvant components, are considered to be of primary importance
for adverse effects of vaccines. We have reported that a single intraperitoneal
injection of the adjuvant oils pristane, IFA or squalene induces lupus-related
autoantibodies to nRNP/Sm and -Su in non-autoimmune BALB/c mice. Induction
of these autoantibodies appeared to be associated with the hydrocarbon's
ability to induce IL-12, IL-6, and TNF-alpha, suggesting a relationship
with hydrocarbon's adjuvanticity. Whether this is relevant in human vaccination
is a difficult issue due to the complex effects of vaccines and the fact
that immunotoxicological effects vary depending on species, route, dose,
and duration of administration.
- Nevertheless, the potential of adjuvant hydrocarbon oils
to induce autoimmunity has implications in the use of oil adjuvants in
human and veterinary vaccines as well as basic research. Copyright
2004 Elsevier SAS
- PMID: 15194169 (PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE)