- Hello Jeff - Indications are pointing to an explosion
of the Swine Flu, especially since the vaccine is delayed and most of the
world has no vaccine at all (if it even works) to slow down the spread.
It seems chances are also now favoring a viral recombination/evolution
into something more virulent.
- In the US, we are now seeing human-to-human transmission
of tamiflu-resistant strains.
- A-H1N1 is also spreading around the globe in animal populations,
most notably in increasing swine herd infections, and poultry...like the
infected turkeys in Chile last Summer and then last month in Turkeys in
- I think Dr. Henry Niman is correct in his assertion that
once people see the virus spread and kill, they will demand vaccine but
none will be available in most areas.
- This could, indeed, lead to a full-blown panic...allowing
the government to implement
- a wide-range of unpleasant options. This may be a very
"hot" cold Winter.
- 40 000 Contract Serious Virus In Ukraine, 30 Dead
- By Andrew Moran
- Digital Journal
- As the world enters the [influenza] season, another possible
virus emerges as 30 people in the Eastern European country of Ukraine have
died from this latest flu [virus infection].
- Each country is dealing with their own cases of the pandemic
(H1N1) 2009 virus infection and many have even [under]taken vaccination,
but is H1N1 the only flu out there? A viral infection in Ukraine has taken
the lives of 30 people and at 1st it seemed like an ordinary flu but after
a week the symptoms worsened.
- Radio Netherlands Worldwide reports 40,000 Ukrainians
have contracted the disease and at least 100 are in the hospital. Tests
are currently being conducted and all that is known is that it is not the
pandemic (H1N1) 2009 strain of influenza virus [but see comment below].
- A large number of schools and childcare facilities are
being shut down, especially in the city of Lvov [Lviv in western Ukraine
- Mod.CP]. Also, government agencies are handing out surgical masks and
gloves to people in the western part of Ukraine.
- However, Russia Today is reporting that it is A/H1N1
or Californian Flu [i.e., the A/California/7/2009 strain from which the
current pandemic vaccines are derived - Mod.CP] and the total number of
deaths is closer to 40.
- Prime Minister Timoshenko [of Ukraine] stated, "Express-tests
cannot provide a hundred percent verification of the virus; they give only
50 percent accuracy. That's why blood [samples from] those who died were
sent to special laboratories for further testing, and only this morning
it was confirmed that at least 11 deaths were caused by the A/H1N1 [pandemic
- The Ukrainian government is calling for international
aid to help fight their epidemic and President Yushchenko believes the
country needs more than USD 6 million to battle the epidemic.
- Communicated by ProMED-mail
- ProMED-mail also thanks Sharon Sanders for bringing this
outbreak of an undiagnosed influenza-like illness to our attention. It
now appears, contrary to an initial denial and continuing uncertainty,
that the outbreak is likely a consequence of pandemic A (H1N1) 2009 virus
infection. ProMED-mail would welcome further information from any informed
- The HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Ukraine
can be accessed at: http://healthmap.org/admin/prolink.php - Mod.CP
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural
Economics Univ of West Indies Please visit my "Emerging Diseases"
message board at: http://www.emergingdisease.org/phpbb/index.php Also
my new website: http://drpdoyle.tripod.com/ Zhan le Devlesa tai
sastimasa Go with God and in Good Health