- Today, with 15 million unemployed Americans, another
seven million underemployed and 41.8 million Americans subsisting on food
stamps, Senator Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi attempt to pass
the Dream Act in order to give illegal aliens a front row seat for a $6.2
billion give-away of American tax dollars.
- Roy Beck, director of www.NumbersUSA.org gives
Americans a clear understanding what this scam act allows. Could you explain
- "When the House and Senate (presumably) vote this
afternoon, I think it is important to frame the issue in terms of giving
out millions of additional 10-year work permits," said Beck. "You
see, even people who don't qualify in the first place or who do qualify
for the provisional amnesty but never meet the educational criteria later
-- all of them can get a 10-year work permit from the start.
- "Here's the way it would work under the latest DREAM
amnesty bill introduced in the Senate (and coming up for a vote today):
- THE 10-YEAR WORK PERMITS FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT QUALIFY
- 1. Application: The DREAM amnesty begins with illegal
aliens filling out applications. They merely have to claim --
not provide evidence -- that they meet criteria of having been brought
to the U.S. before age 16 and being under the age of 30 at time of enactment
and being present in the U.S. at least 5 years before enactment of the
amnesty, among other criteria.
- 2. Work Permits Given: Upon filing the application,
the illegal aliens are given a 10-year work permit to compete directly
with the 22 million Americans who want a full-time job but can't find one.
- Estimates suggest that up to 2 million illegal aliens
could legitimately qualify for the opening application, and perhaps a couple
million more might be or look young enough to fraudulently apply.
- Those millions would immediately be able to legally compete
for any U.S. job.
- 3. Ten Years of Work Before Education Required: Despite
all the talk about how this amnesty is just for people who go to college
or serve in the military, the illegal aliens don't have to do much of anything
in that regard to have the legal right to work for 10 years.
- Everybody who applies and gets the work permits has 10
years to complete two years of college or two years of military. Ten Years!
- By the way, despite the fact that some media outlets
have taken to referring to the potential recipients of the amnesty as "the
best and the brightest" and "stars," illegal aliens can
get the 10-year work permit merely by completing a GED and enrolling in
a single course in a community college or trade school.
- 4. When 10 Years Are Up, What's The Chance of Anybody
Being Asked to Leave? At the end of 10 years, illegal aliens who have
not compiled two years of college or military would finally lose the right
to compete legally with unemployed Americans for a job.
- "But they also would have sunk 10 more years of
roots into their communities, building up an even bigger claim that it
would be a hardship to be forced to leave this country," said Beck.
"In addition, their advocates in the open-borders groups can say that
they aren't really illegal aliens since they have just spent 10 years living
and working as legal resident.
- "Fortunately for them, the DREAM amnesty allows
those who fail to meet any of the criteria after 10 years to file a claim
of hardship. The US Citizenship & Immigration Services agency is given
the right to issue waivers and allow these illegal aliens to stay. By
the way, they can get a waiver if the hardship is to them, or if it would
be to a spouse, one of their children or one of their parents.
- "In the end, it is not only the 2 million potential
qualified opening applicants but millions of potential fraudulent applicants
who will get 10 years of legal competition against unemployed Americans.
The only way the frauds can lose their work permit is if the government
brings individualized cases to prove that they lied on the applications.
Want to guess how many of the millions of fraud cases the government would
have time to investigate and prosecute -- one by one?
- "Are any of the pro-DREAM amnesty supporters thinking
- "Aside from all the issues of rewarding or encouraging
law-breaking, there is the question about why this Lame Duck Congress at
this time of 9.8% unemployment would feel the need to greatly increase
the job competition for unemployed Americans."
- How can you stop the Dream Act. Join Beck at www.NumbersUSA.org and
become a faxer of pre-written letters and make phone calls. It's free,
bi-partisan and effective. Do it today! Thanks!
- ROY BECK is Founder & CEO of NumbersUSA.
- NumbersUSA's blogs are copyrighted and may be republished
or reposted only if they are copied in their entirety, including this paragraph,
and provide proper credit to <??>NumbersUSA. NumbersUSA bears
no responsibility for where our blogs may be republished or reposted.
- Views and opinions expressed in blogs on this website
are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect official policies
- In a five minute astoundingly simple yet brilliant video,
"Immigration, Poverty, and Gum Balls", Roy Beck, director of www.numbersusa.ORG,
graphically illustrates the impact of overpopulation. Take five minutes
to see for yourself: