- LONDON (AFP) - Couples who have sex at least three times a week appear
to look more than a decade younger than the average adult, who has sex
twice a week, The Daily Telegraph reported Wednesday.
- Citing a 10-year academic study of 3,500
people aged 18 to 102 in Britain, Europe and the United States by the
Royal Edinburgh Hospital in Scotland, the paper said 25 percent of looks
came from genetics and 75 percent from behavior.
- Sexual activity was the most important
factor after physical and mental exercise, the Telegraph said.
- "Pleasure derived from sex is a
crucial factor in preserving youth," consultant neuro-psychologist
David Weeks told the paper.
- "It makes us happy and produces
chemicals telling us so.
- "I would say that famous people
with youthful good looks, such as Goldie Hawn, Helen Mirren and Joan Collins,
all enjoy very active and healthy sex lives".
- Weeks cautioned however that promiscuous
sex did not have the same benefits.
- "The quality of the relationship
was an important factor in staying youthful."
- The study also apparently found that
younger-looking people were more altruistic, confident and better educated.