- Ottawa (CNA) Agents from Beijing operating in Taiwan
are spreading rumors that an invasion is imminent, intensifying China's
psychological warfare against the island, a Canadian analyst said Sunday.
- Eric Margolis, contributing foreign editor for the Sun
newspapers, said rumors have swept Taiwan that China is preparing an invasion.
- He noted that the growing crisis over independence-minded
Taiwan is causing deepening concern across Asia and in Washington.
- He noted that much as China would like to invade Taiwan,
it clearly lacks the military capability to do so.
- "So it's more likely Beijing will continue to bombard
Taiwan with threats and perhaps a few missiles... Behind all the threats,
China and Taiwan still need one another as evidenced by that fact that
Taiwan has over US$30 billion invested in mainland China," he said.