- Joe Firmage, the founder and president of a prominent
Internet company who quit to pursue space-travel-related interests, Thursday
launched his new venture: the International Space Sciences Organization,
devoted to raising human consciousness and discovering an interstellar
- Firmage, 28, made headlines earlier this year when he
walked away from US Web, an Internet consulting firm he founded that makes
hundreds of millions in revenue and has a stock market value of nearly
$3 billion, to devote himself to such larger issues as the future of humanity
and contact with alien beings.
- ISSO is his first new venture since leaving US Web. Initially
to be funded out of Firmage's own pocket, ISSO is designed to stimulate
research into physics. Firmage believes ISSO will achieve a breakthrough
in human consciousness and discover gravity-powered interstellar propulsion.
As a side project, the ISSO research group will decide how to respond when
humanity comes into contact with alien beings.
- The plan is to sign on board 20 "visionaries"
to ISSO's board of directors and attract enough donations to keep the project
going until its objectives are achieved.
- Chief among those objectives is the achievement of interstellar
travel, which in Firmage's philosophy will be the outgrowth of a singular
scientific breakthrough -- what he calls the discovery of the nature of
- When the nature of "that" is revealed, Firmage
wrote on ISSO's Web site, "we fish will then know for the first time,
at a fundamental physical level, the water in which we exist and of which
we are made.
- "And we will swim!" he continued.
- One of the advantages of being aware of "that"
will be improved control over basic physical forces, Firmage writes.
- "A means for Cosmos to direct 'gravitational' force
at will is among the abilities such an understanding would almost certainly
confer upon human beings," reads a tract on the ISSO site.
- This will, in turn, make possible a "Star Trek"-like
Utopia of interstellar adventure.
- "We will develop a new from of propulsion and energy
production completely unlike anything human beings have previously invented,"
Firmage explained. "We will use this knowledge to construct devices
which 'tap' and redirect spacetime energy, powering interstellar starships
into the depths of Cosmos and in the same sweep enabling us to evolve civilization
rapidly towards benign and sustainable technologies."
- Internet entrepreneurs can rest assured that their businesses,
while well-financed, are also important to helping humanity achieve its
techno-scientific revelation, according to Firmage.
- "With this new system of energy transmission, humanity
is possessed with the ability to see the largest reflection of its collective
mind ever," clarified the former Internet consultant on his site.
"The luminance of our consciousness grows with every change to every
page of every site across the Web of humanity."
- Indeed, a simple way of thinking of all scientific achievement
is as different ways of using and arranging "energy," Firmage
- "Energy is indeed an interesting subject to study,"