- LISBON, Ohio (Reuters) -
A 12-year-old boy held his class and teacher at gunpoint on Thursday before
another teacher talked him into handing over the weapon, police said.
- The sixth-grade student later told a school official
he pulled the gun because he wanted to join his mother in jail.
- Police Dispatcher Pam Flory said the incident occurred
around 8:45 a.m. when the boy pulled out the gun and told the 25 children
in the class and their teacher, Dan Kemats, to get on the floor.
- She described the gun as a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun
with one cartridge in the chamber.
- Soon after the boy produced the gun, another student
walking in the hall saw him with the gun and went to get another teacher,
Linda Robb, who entered the classroom, talked to him and persuaded him
to hand over the gun, Flory said.
- ``The boy ran to her and she hugged him and it was over
in five minutes,'' Flory said.
- Anthony Krukowski, superintendent at McKinley Elementary
School, in Lisbon, told local media ``There were no shots (fired) and no
one was hurt.''
- Krukowski said the boy, who was not identified, told
him he held the class at gunpoint because his biological mother was in
jail and he wanted to join her.
- Flory said the boy lived with his biological father and
stepmother. She did not have their names.
- She said the sixth grade class was released after the
incident but that other classes were being held unless parents came to
bring their children home. Classes will not be held at the school on Friday,
but it will be open and counselors and teachers will be available, she
- Flory said some of the parents who called the police
station when they heard the news were upset. Local media reported some
parents were annoyed they heard the news on television before being informed
by the school.
- Lisbon is a small town about 80 miles (128.7 km) southeast
of Cleveland, Ohio.
- In February, a 6-year-old girl was shot to death by a
fellow first-grade student at a school in Michigan. _____
- Ohio 6th Grader Holds Class At Gunpoint
- http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=73685 3-23-00
- LISBON, Ohio (UPI) - A 12-year-old boy held a teacher
and 25 classmates hostage Thursday but surrendered his 9mm semiautomatic
handgun when another teacher entered the room. No one was hurt in the incident
in the sixth grade classroom at Lisbon Elementary School. Police spokeswoman
Cheryl Mills said the incident began about 8:45 a.m. when the suddenly
stood up holding the loaded weapon and ordered the other students and his
teacher to lie on the floor. "A student passing in the hallway saw
what was happening and called another teacher. She entered and asked the
student to come to her and he did," Mills said. "They hugged
and she took the gun from him and that was the end of it." The school
is about 25 miles south of Youngstown, in eastern Ohio.
- Copyright 2000 by United Press International. All rights
- SIGHTINGS HOMEPAGE
Site Served by TheHostPros