- "Make no mistake, Roswell happened.
I've seen secret files which show the government knew about it - but decided
not to tell the public." -Ed Mitchell
- FORMER astronaut Edgar Mitchell is one
of only 12 people to have walked on the moon.
- A highly-intelligent scientist, Edgar
caused a sensation at a UFO conference in America this month when he claimed
he has seen proof that aliens exist.
- In 1971, Edgar became the sixth person
to walk on the moon. Now 68, he works as a consultant to the hugely popular
science-fiction TV series The X Files.
- In an exclusive interview from his Florida
home, Edgar told John Earls why he is convinced there is life on other
planets and that aliens have, in fact, landed on Earth.
- "I AM an American astronaut and
a trained scientist. Because of my position people in high places confide
in me. And, as a result, I have no doubt that aliens HAVE visited this
- The American government and governments
throughout the world have thousands of files of UFO sightings which cannot
be explained. As a scientist, it is logical to me that at least some of
these will have been witness of alien craft.
- As a former astronaut, the military people
who have access to these files are more willing to talk to me than to people
they regard as mere cranks.
- The stories I have heard from these people,
who are more highly qualified than me to talk about UFOs, leave me in no
doubt that aliens have already visited Earth.
- I've been interested in the subject since
I joined NASA 40 years ago. Probably my most visionary moment was when
I actually landed on the moon with Apollo 14.
- I felt an overwhelming sense that the
universe itself is in some way a conscious being in its own right. This
means that all life-forms, whether on Earth or elsewhere, are all part
of one giant consciousness.
- So when I learned that aliens really
do exist, I wasn't too surprised. But what did shock me when I started
investigating extra-terrestrial reports a decade ago is the extent to which
the proof has been hushed up.
- It isn't just the US government which
has kept quiet about alien visits. It would be arrogant of an American
like myself to assume that ETs would only choose to visit my country.
- Indeed, I've heard convincing stories
about governments all over the world that know of alien visits - including
the British government.
- Not all governments are anxious to keep
their findings quiet. The Belgians have admitted that aliens may be out
there and have released information about sightings that cannot be explained
away as military planes, weather phenomena and so on.
- There is a very simple reason why governments
have been so secretive: fear.
- Modern UFO sightings really began with
the Roswell incident in 1947, when a crashed craft containing the corpses
of several aliens was found in Roswell, New Mexico.
- Make no mistake, Roswell happened. I've
seen secret files which show the government knew about it - but decided
not to tell the public.
- There were very good security reasons
for not informing the public about Roswell. Quite simply, we wouldn't have
known how to deal with the technology of intelligent beings advanced enough
to send a craft to Earth. The world would have panicked if we'd known aliens
were visiting us.
- The question of whether or not aliens
are still visiting us is more complex.
- Such is our existing secret technology
that what might look like an alien craft may well turn out to be a top-secret
military plane. On the other hand, the craft may be an alien spaceship.
Personally however, I'd say, "Yes, it's quite possible we are currently
- The whole question of extra-terrestrials
should be looked at in an historical context. Five hundred years ago, the
astronomer Copernicus was condemned as a heretic for saying that planet
Earth wasn't the centre of the universe but merely a small part of it.
- Now we laugh at those long-dead fools
for not listening to the truth. People who believe in aliens aren't all
cranks and some may be looked upon in the future as visionaries similar
to Copernicus. Meanwhile, the majority of us still believe mankind is the
biological centre of the universe.
- We will refuse to accept that intelligent
life exists outside Earth unless we personally bump into an alien while
we're doing the shopping. Is this attitude really any different from those
"simpletons" of 500 years ago?
- My training at NASA only allows me to
look at things scientifically. Even if I hadn't been shown evidence of
alien landings on Earth, the assumption must be that somewhere in the universe
another planet is capable of supporting alien life.
- Those life-forms need not be "little
green men". The scientists' definition of intelligent life is whether
or not it can use and manage information. Even the most primitive microbes
on Earth qualify by that definition, and surely there are at the very least
similar microbes thriving on planets throughout the universe.
- If you are starting to think walking
on the moon addled my brain and that I'll believe any old crank theory
about ETs, think again.
- I would describe myself as a cynic. I
wasn't convinced about the existence of aliens until I started talking
to the military old-timers who were there at the time of Roswell. The more
government documentation on aliens I was told about, the more convinced
- It must be stressed that the wackier
people on the fringe of alien matters do the subject no end of damage.
Contrary to rumour, there are no alien buildings and structures on the
moon. I should know, I was there!
- I even became caught up in these rumours
when a theory started that a moon structure was reflected on my helmet
during TV transmissions of my landing. That just isn't true.
- It's that kind of disinformation which
stops credible people admitting that they too believe in aliens.
- Thankfully, things are changing for the
better. It's a snowball effect - the more scientists admit that ETs are
a viable prospect, the more they are investigated in a scientifc manner.
And the more that happens, the more chance there is of us discovering inarguable
proof of extra-terrestrials.
- It helps too that those in possession
of documentation of alien visits to Earth are starting to come forward.
The military people I spoke to are tired of the secrecy surrounding Roswell
and similar cases, particularly as the information is being leaked.
- I firmly believe that this documentation
will have to be made public within the next three or four years. And if
proof of ETs is finally made public, nobody will be happier than me.
- What I don't think will happen is that
I will ever see an extra-terrestrial. I'd love to see one, though it's
not the biggest priority in my life.
- But, as they say on a TV show I'm associated
with, the truth is out there.