- We now have less than 20 days to contact
the FDIC and demand that it kill its proposed "Know Your Customer"
rule. Please forward this message to any friends, family, co-workers,
neighbors, or other people you know who may be interested, then go to http://www.defendyourprivacy.com
and sign the petition. It will be submitted directly to the FDIC. Plus,
a copy will be sent to your representative in the U.S. House and to both
your U.S. Senators.
- The FDIC's Know Your Customer rule would
force banks to "monitor" your checking and savings account and
report any "unusual transactions" to the federal government.
This threat to your financial privacy would force your bank to:
- * Discover your "source of funds"
- * Determine your "normal and expected
- * Report any "suspicious activity"
to federal investigators
- The government claims it is trying to
thwart money launderers and drug dealers. But what this law will do is
turn every bank teller into a government informer and everyone with a bank
account into a criminal suspect.
- In a free society, the government has
no business asking where you get your money or how you spend it -- and
politicians have no right to force your bank to monitor your account.
- But that's exactly what's going to happen,
unless we can generate enough opposition before the FDIC's comment period
expires on March 8. Outraged Americans have already flooded the FDIC with
over 20,000 comments against the Know Your Customer regulation -- but the
agency hasn't backed down yet.
- Let's keep up the pressure.
- Then go to http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.
- Thank you.