- It was about 200 metres long, 50 metres wide and was
lit up like a city in the sky.
- It moved very slowly across the sky, making a quiet
noise. This is the description of what thousands of people on
Peninsula of East New Britain saw in the sky over the
- The people of the remote Bainingo ranges were cut off
television and anything else that is modern, possibly had the best
description. They say a craft, which had huge lumps on the sides with
flickering around it.
- Some Bainingos said the object was lit up all around
like a red hot stone in an oven pit.
- But what they saw was exactly
what others on the Gazelle
Peninsula witnessed on the same night,
Thursday, November 4.
- The people who saw the flying craft concluded that they
were witnessing a spacecraft from another planet.
- On other parts of the province,
similar sightings were
made, although their descriptions were slightly
different. Over on Duke
of York Islands those living on the island
closest to New Ireland Province
reported seeing a huge craft hovering
just metres above the seas off St
George Channel, and travelling at
very slow speed.
- They claimed they saw other smaller crafts with bright
circulating the bigger craft in a playful manner.
- They claimed they watched the
craft until it disappeared
over the high mountains in New
- At Rangulit village, Baining area, on the same night,
naturalised citizen John Berenti of Namatanai in New Ireland, and his
were sitting on the verandahs of their home when, all of a
sudden, a huge
craft appeared just above the top of the mango
- "It was so big, about 200 to 300 metres long, and
- "It was moving very, very slowly across the sky
lit up like a shooting star and it had two very bright lights at
- "We honestly did not know what it was, but it certainly
wasnít an aircraft," Mr Berenti said.
- "It was travelling too low
and far too slow."
- "It did not make any sound, just a quite puffing
sound as it glided gracefully over the tree tops," he said.
- Mr Berenti said his
entire family saw the craft.
- He said the people who lived there, who saw the craft
lit hand-hold fires and chased after the craft, wanting to see where it
- Mr Berenti said he had never seen anything like it and
troubled by it.
- "It was not anything that can be associated by this
planet. He recalled that the bright glow around the craft was its magnetic
field, keep the force of gravity away."
- About 50 kilometers across the
sea from Lassul Baining,
Police Officer Raymond Theodore was sitting
under his house along Vuvu
Beach, North Coast of Rabaul, around 8:30pm
in the night when he noticed
what looked to be a huge craft travelling
just metres above the seas.
- "First I thought it was a ship but then we saw it
travel over Waton Island."
- "It had very bright lights at the back as it moved
along, but it made not sound," he said.
- Others who saw the craft gave
- This Full report is from The Post-Courier, Papua New
News Monday, November 15, 1999.
- UFO "WAS LIKE STAR
- "I thought about the Star Wars movies after seeing
the Unidentified Flying Object," said eyewitness Alex James.
- Alex said that the
incident happened about 7pm last Thursday.
- He said he and four other boys
had gone to Pilapila Community
School for rugby practice and were
returning to their village when they
saw the object. Alex said the
incident happened at a time when mothers
and children were returning
from bathing, while others were sitting around
said he and his four friends were talking about the
when they saw bright lights approaching.
- Alex said people who were near
their houses ran inside
and locked the doors, while others on the road
or near the beach just stood
where they were. He said as the UFO
approached, the streetlights dimmed
like when the batteries in a torch
- Alex said it approached without a sound.
- He said it hovered above the
tall coconut trees and was
oblong in shape. Alex said as it passed
over, he and his four friends were
left speechless, as they were all
- He said: "Pastaim mi tingim God papa, na nupela
na bihain mi tingim ol movie olsem Star Wars, Star Trek na Babylon
- Alex described the bottom of the UFO as oblong shaped
bright lights around the edges, while the top was like a pyramid with
some lights around it.
- He explained that there were no colored lights, just
bright white lights. Alex said he and his friends did not see anything
move in the UFO and stressed that it did not make a sound.
- He said the object
was huge and took almost 30 minutes
to pass over them. Alex said this
was because one of them who had a watch
on checked the time after the
object passed over them.
- He said when it hovered over them, the place around them
lit up and they could see people near them as if it was daylight.
- Alex said they
watched the object until it disappeared
over the mountains near
incident has been the talk of the province.
- Best Regards
- John W.
Auchettl - Director
- Phenomena Research
- P.O. Box 523, Mulgrave,
Victoria, Australia, 3170
- Australian & Asia UFO 1961-1999 -
OF RESEARCH SERVICE